Breast Augmentation Rehoboth Beach
- remains the most popular cosmetic procedure in the United States
- Breast augmentation or often referred to as a “boob job” by many patients encompasses either using breast implants or fat graft transfer to enhance and rejuvenated your breasts
I had a breast augmentation performed by Dr.Chang. I was very pleased with his professionalism, consideration, and the results of the procedure. His staff was very personable and helpful as well. After second guessing the size I chose during my fitting appointment, Dr. Chang and his staff were very accommodating and allowed me to come back for a second fitting. Dr. Chang was great at listening to what results I was hoping for and was great at providing guidance for realistic outcomes.
Am I a good candidate for breast augmentation procedure?
As with all cosmetic elective procedures, a breast augmentation procedure is a very personal and in individual choice that should be done for yourself and not because someone else is encouraging you. When the patient has this procedure for themselves, the satisfaction level is high
You are a good candidate for breast augmentation if:
- You are healthy and have realistic expectations
- Your breasts are fully developed and your weight is fairly stable
- You are bothered that you feel your breasts are too small for your body frame
- You are not happy with the upper portion of your breasts becoming “empty” and losing its volume as a result of weight loss, pregnancy or aging
- Your breasts may not be even and that either one or both of your breasts never developed normally
If you are considering breast augmentation surgery, do your research to find a board certified Plastic Surgeon, review before and after photos and start to learn more about your own body concerns and what to expect about the procedure and recovery. A well informed patient with realistic expectations will lead to a smoother process and high level of satisfaction.
What are the types of breast augmentation procedures?
- Most common form of breast augmentation procedure is with synthetic implants, either gel or saline filled with an outer silicone shell
- Saline breast implants are FDA approved for augmentation in women age 18 or older. These implants are filled with sterile salt water surrounded by a solid outer silicone shell. If the implant leaks, the breast implant will collapse and the saline water will be absorbed and safely excreted by the body
- Silicone gel implants are FDA approved for augmentation in women 22 years or older. These implants are filled with silicone gel which feels more like a natural breast. If the implant leaks, the gel may stay within the shell or leak outside the shell. Therefore, it may be difficult for the patient to know if the implant has ruptured because it may still be the same size or you may feel the implant is either smaller or does not feel as firm.
- Round breast implants: Because of the round shape, there is less concern of implants rotating out of place. Depending on what cup size enhancement is desired and the individual body shape, the choices of implants are either moderate, moderate plus, high or ultra high profile to give the most natural shape and overall appearance of the breast.
- Smooth gel breast implants are the most natural in feel or appearance because of their very soft feeling and they have a more natural movement within the breast implant pocket. Depending on the skin thickness, smooth implants may have either visible or palpable rippling at the skin surface
- Textured breast implants were designed to decrease the amount of scar tissue or capsule that may form around the implant. These are used more often in breast cancer reconstruction procedures.
- It should be noted that breast implant associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) occurs most frequently in patients with textured surface breast implants
- Breast Implant Illness (BII) is a term used by women who have breast implants and who self identify with a wide range of symptoms including but not limited to fatigue, chronic pain, rash, headaches, chest discomfort, hair loss, brain fog, sleep disturbances, depression.
What to expect at your breast augmentation consultation
- Identify your specific breast concerns and reasonable expectations of your desired outcome (implants, fat transfers or either)
- Review your general health profile including health conditions, prior breast surgery, medications, allergies, family history breast cancer, risk factors of smoking
- Examination of breasts and body with photographs taken.Measurement of breasts, size, skin thickness, nipple size and position, symmetry or asymmetric
- Discuss your options: implants, fat transfers, breast lift with implant, breast lift alone, breast lift with fat graft, breast rejuvenation combined with other procedures such as liposuction Lt tummy tuck
Frequently Asked Questions/ Questions to Ask Your Plastic Surgeon
- Are you certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Were you specifically trained in the field of Plastic Surgery
- How many years of Plastic Surgery training
- Do you have hospital privileges to perform this procedure ? Which ones?
- Is the ambulatory surgical facility nationally or state accredited or Medicare certified?
- Am I a good candidate for breast augmentation procedure?
- What implant type, size, surface texture, incision and implant placement (above versus below muscle), need for breast lift , need for fat grafts?
- What facility will procedure be performed?
- Length of recovery: light activity (car driving, light lifting) 5-7 days; normal activity (exercise, full lifting at work 3-6 weeks)
- Air travel: 1 week
- What are the risks and complications associated with the procedure? anesthesia risks, bleeding, hematoma, infection, changes nipple or breast sensation, bad scars, asymmetry beyond “normal asymmetry”, malposition of implant, capsular contracture (scar tissue around implant), seroma (fluid accumulation), wrinkling skin over implant, double bubble, pain, future revision surgery
- What are the chances for another procedure in my lifetime? 10-15%