Sclerotherapy Rehoboth Beach
What is sclerotherapy?
- Minimally invasive procedure that treats varicose veins and spider veins
- It involves injecting chemical sclerosing agents directly into veins, irritating the lining of the blood vessel causing it to collapse, resorb into local tissue and eventually fade
- In addition to diminishing the unsightly appearance of spider veins, sclerotherapy can diminish associated discomfort
Meet Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon,Dr. Lawrence Chang
What are spider veins?
- Spider veins are clusters of unsightly tiny blood vessels that develop close to the surface of the skin on the legs and face. They are often red, purple or blue and often have the appearance of a spiderweb.
- Spider veins are associated with aging, rosacea, sun exposure, genetics, pregnancy and varicose veins
What is the treatment for unsightly spider veins?
- In the face, spider veins and broken blood vessels are treated with Intense Pulse Light (IPL) laser. Usually takes 1-3 treatments 4 weeks apart to achieve satisfactory results
- In the legs, foam injection sclerotherapy still remains the gold standard treatment
What to expect?
- Foam injection sclerotherapy is a minimally invasive office based procedure that takes up to 30 minutes
- Avoid aspirin or any other blood thinners 7-10 days prior
- Wear loose clothing with the anticipation of wearing ace wraps and/or compression stockings for 2-7 days afterwards
- Concerning spider veins will be identified and photographed
- All concerned areas will be treated with a foam sclerotherapy technique using a dilute alcohol/detergent solution (0.5%,1% Asclera) mixed 1:1 air
- Cotton balls and ace wraps applied upon completion and patient encouraged to walk 15-20 minutes immediately
- Ace wraps or compression stockings 2-3 days of spider veins only treated; 5-7 days of compression if reticular veins treated
- May shower same day and resume all normal activities following day
- Need to wait minimum 2 weeks or longer if more areas to be treated
- Small areas treated: up to 3cc solution injected
- Medium to large areas treated: up to 10cc solution injected (4 syringes)
- Allow 4-6 weeks for final results to set in. There will still be visible veins remaining but overall should be improved and reduced